Saturday, April 16, 2005

 

Bring or Be Brought

(I know, not a grammatically correct title...but keep reading)
Everyone has heard the saying, “It is better to give than to receive”. I usually agree with this phrase, but maybe there are some exceptions to this ‘rule’. Let me explain. Let’s say that I know of a secret place that contains a magical power. This power is given off by a stone that, when touched, unlocks the key to every one of your dreams and desires. The catch is that only those that are honorable can be unlocked. The kicker is when you come in contact with the stone the only dreams and desires that you care about ARE the honorable ones…follow me. Now, let’s say that I know where this place is and I am want to bring you to it. Who is more blessed by this situation…the bringer or the one that is brought to the stone? Sure, sure both are equally blessed, but are they. If you are someone that has never been blessed enough to see any dream come true, I would say you were pretty blessed by being ‘brought’ to the stone. But if I had never ever helped anyone before in my life because I was too stuck on myself until I came in contact with the stone, I would say the experience of bringing you to the stone would be a blessing. (Ok at this point, please don’t get so caught up in the fact that I am using a fantasy magical stone).
There is a great story in the Bible about such a situation. Mark Chapter 2 finds Jesus teaching a lesson to people in a packed house. There was no room for anyone to get in the house. There were 4 friends that had a friend that was paralytic. They knew if they could get to Jesus, he could heal their friend. So after careful thought and multiple tries to get close to Christ, they came up with a brilliant idea. They would climb on the roof, dig through the roof, then lower their friend down!!! So they did and low and behold they climbed, dug, lowered and their friend ended up at the feet of the great Healer. He looked to the friends (impressed by their bold faith) and said, “You’re sins are forgiven”. Which is more blessed, the one healed or the one that brought one to be healed? Which ones faith is more important the one that was healed or the ones that dug through the roof for their friend to be healed? Was it better to give or to receive? I say both. I say both are necessary. Our church needs both. It needs those that will bring people to the feet of Christ (even if a little digging and hard work is involved) and it needs people willing to be brought to the feet of the Savior.

Comments:
Thanks for these thoughts. It takes surrender to bring. It takes surrender to be brought. It takes strength to bring. It takes strength to be brought. A heart must turn to God in order to have the will to bring. A heart must turn to God in order to have the will to be brought. As you say, we are equally blessed. And as we are brought, so may we bring. This makes me think of a poem I love and often quote:
How carefully we must prime the pump
With water from the purest spring
What comes out first is red with rust
But waiting's worth what faith can bring
It would be good to bring a cup
Our hands can't hold the spring
That gushes forth once it's begun
It overflows the dream
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?