Wednesday, April 13, 2005

 

Now I Understand

Now I understand the reason I don't like Oprah. I was working out today (no really) and her show came on the air. I was just reaching my target heart rate (I really am serious) and it hit me, "I now know why I don't like Oprah". Its not that I dislike her as a person. I don't know her at all. I just know how she is on her show and from articles and such. I even like some of the topics that she tackles. Not everyone is brave enough or confident enough to talk about things the way she does. I actually really admire that. Its not her money or fame that causes me to be uncomfortable with her. I used to think it was because she is the largest source of New Ageism in America--which I still think but not as strongly as I used to. No, it's none of those things that make me 'not like her'. But now I think I know. As I watched her come out after being introduced she slowly made her way to the stage--like she has done so many times before. She walked slowly, I mean slowly kind of like watching a king or queen or president walk. Shaking hands saying hello and greeting people with a smile. It is at this moment as my heart is working and I am thinking, "Now I know why I don't like her"--funny thing is it has nothing to do with her really. Its the people that watch her and the people that talk and write about her. The faces of the crowd are forever blazed on my mind because they were almost worshipful. There is no doubt she connects with her audience and her fans. That is what makes her great. She is great at 'being real'. But where is the line. Where is the line between really respecting and liking someone and worshipping them. Maybe that seems like a harsh statement but I mean it just like I said it. And I could say this about other famous folks. I just happened to be watching Oprah today. I know, I know some of you would say that the connection she has and the advice she gives and such is a great help to so many. I am not disagreeing with that (necessarily). All I am saying is I think that Oprah (much like Dr. Phil, Judge Judy, Donald Trump, James Dobson, etc.) is filling a niche in America that used be filled by God, the Bible and the Church. People are giving some solid answers to hard questions (or at least dealing with sold, hard issues). But not many people stop to wonder or think or compare these answers with God's Truths to 'test and see' if this advice is actually Godly or not. I think that is my problem… and hey, I am looking in the mirror on this one. It just made me think today as I was working out that maybe there is a reason why folks are searching for fulfillment so adamantly and not seeming to find it. As Moulder used to say, "the Truth is out there". I am just not sure Oprah has it all the time. But, hey, I could just be suffering from lack of oxygen to my brain..or maybe too much. (I really did work out today)

Comments:
Ok, ok, you brought it. You are absolutely correct when you are highlighting our societies propensity for celebrity worship.

However, if I were to play devil's advocate here, is it possible that people like Oprah not just becasue she is a celebrity, but because in her own way she represents the goodness and light of God in someway. To be sure I have a huge problem with her "New Ageism" and I am absolutely sure that I would have some huge doctrinal problems with her theology as well. But does that mean that she isnt' doing her part in ushering in the Kingdom of God. Perhaps not by winning "souls", but by acknowleding people's pain, children's suffering, and talking honestly about the human condition? I think people can see that and gravitate towards that kind of light.

When I think about your post in terms of my love for U2 I have to say I am probably worse than those in the Oprah crowd. I admit I don't watch Oprah too much (she is on my TiVO list), but I have given U2 money and adoration for a long time. My love for U2 is similar to other peoples affection for Oprah. U2 sings about faith, love, hopes, fears, un-met expectations, and God. Oprah does the same although to what degree might be different.

It's true that people used to look more to the Bible for their answers to lifes problems, but culture changes the methods by which people search for meaning and truth. The Church's challenge is how to reach more people without sacrificing depth of conviction. Mile wide and a mile deep so to speek.
 
i agree with you, chris. as i watch her show sometimes i observe how the people in the audience almost worship her, and how people love Oprah so much. Its true, Oprah does good things for people, but that doesnt mean the public should worship her as an idol. i like the Oprah show, i really do, but i dont worship her like many in our nation do.
 
Some of the neatest people I know don't like her. I myself love love love her. She's a sister. She's a best friend. She's a hand holder. She's a listener. She's a laugher. She walks slow b/c her feet hurt from her fancy shoes that she can't help wanting to wear. She throws them off when the cameras stop. People are hungry, not for her accuracy, but for her assurance that not being accurate doesn't mean you stop participating in the dialog. Just like I cry when I say hello or goodbye to my sisters, I would cry to spend a little time with her. She's got heart. She lets us see her warts. She's elevated a piece of our collective consiousness. I can't help but love her. But I don't emulate her. I just love her. Keep watching. You might change your mind.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?