Tuesday, May 10, 2005

 

Truth in the Details

Ok. I have been simmering on this one for a bit (since November). I heard this great speaker at a conference I went to in Atlanta. His name is Rob Bell. He was talking about sharing the Good News of Christ in a way that is more accepted by those that don't really want to hear it. Anyway, in the midst of his talk, he brought up a thought that I have not been able to get over. He talked of the way in which the Truths of the bible can be used. But it was more than that. His point was that if there is Truth, it must be God's truth...I am sure I am over simplifying this. But if you look in the book of Acts, chapter 17, verse 28 Paul uses the words of common day Poet to communicate the Gospel (his actual quote is'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.'). That makes me think. How do we use the Truths around us...the Truths that can only point to the Creator and his Grace to communicate his Gospel? Or better yet, how do we NOT use them but instead abuse them? Do we rely on too many 'traditional' methods to communicate the Grace and Beauty of God's Story. What can be found in movies or music (even R rated or expicit) than can be used to reach a generation of people tha desperately need to hear about the Hope we have in Christ Jesus. Instead of slamming on the music or movies someone listens to or looks at, why not help them learn to sift through the garbage that those things bring. We can't run from the world for ever. Afterall, I thought it was Created and Sustained by God...at least that is what we are taught and some of us teach. Someone help me with this....

Comments:
Yes, we do need to use the things of this culture in order to reach the culture. However, we have been called by God to be pure (Phil 2:15 & 4:8). We cannot muddy our minds and our spirits with the filth that our culture offers up and use reaching the people of the world as an excuse for our impurity. God calls us to be in the world but not of it. We need to participate in only those things the world offers that do not muddy our minds and lives with sin. Abstaining from certain things of this culture (our living example in Christ) speaks louder than a million sermons when it comes to our influence on the world. Because of Him, Mrs. B
 
I don't think Chris means that we should listen to impure things and them blame Christ for it. I think what he's saying is that we can reach people through their interests. Telling people what not to do has become our MO. We need to spread the news and let them come to a realization that they need to make a change. I've been a Christian for about 4 years now and about 2 years ago, I finally gave up the music that God wouldn't have wanted me to listen to. But I had to make that decision for myself. It was part of the process of becoming a Godly woman. We need to be able to relate to people or we run the risk of seeming "untouchable." We have to let people know that we are open to their sins so that we can help them be freed from their sins. We can't walk around all holier than thou and expect to win people to Christ. Personally, I'm willing to reach people any way I can and then, let God take it from there. My two cents, Shayna
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?