Thursday, May 12, 2005

 

Truths Again

Well, here I am to write more about the concept of claiming and using the Truths around us for God's glory. I received a comment from someone that brought up a good point. We are, as Christ-followers, meant to be holy and pure. I agree. Though this is hard to do, it is still part of our journey. So can you watch a sexually suggestive movie or even listen to a good ol’ country song about cheating and drinking and still be clean and holy? Can you use a song such as Tim McGraw's “Drugs or Jesus” to communicate a Truth of the Gospel to someone? Can you use a movie like “Mystic River” to demonstrate the emptiness found in vengeance versus the peace and grace found in the Gospel? Can you study and learn more about the culture we are in so that you can better communicate a Story of Hope to those who have a bad view of 'church' without becoming unholy? Have we ever thought about the fact that the Bible quotes pagan poets (see Acts 17:28 & and Titus 1:12)? What does that mean to us? I think we have got to begin opening our hearts and our FAITH up to God and let Him use His truths where they are found in our world to bring others to Him. Or maybe I am just full of bunk.

Comments:
We definately need to use our experiences pre and post Christ to show God's truth to others. My point is, as Christians we should not purposely fill our hearts and minds w/ the smut of the world and use "reaching the lost" as an excuse for our own impurity. We came in contact with enough worldly things pior to our relationship with God and accidentally/or sinfully after Christ to supply us with truth. We don't need to sin for the sake of relating to sinners. Holier than thou is not the goal, more like Christ is... Mrs. B
 
Hey Matt Chandler preached on something very similar to this a couple weeks ago. His main point is if a bar is the only place you can go to talk life with a friend then go to the bar with that person. Of course if you're an acholic then don't go to the bar. This was about the time that movie Constintine was coming out and he said he was going to go see it and take notes so he could talk to the people that work at starbucks about it. Pretty interesting stuff. I think there's a line there that you can't cross just like everything else in the world, but I think God uses a lot of stuff all for his glory. Weather they're R rated or G. Takes all kinds right? You can check out all Matt's sermons here: http://www.thevillagechurch.net/resources/sermons.html

The one I refered to is part of the Greatest Comandment Series. I think it's probably one of the last three. Maybe "Context of Culture" not sure though.

On a side note Mom and Jim went with me this weekend and it was awesome. Check out the May 8th sermon if you get a chance. Mom got pretty emotional.
 
Natalie, I love you. Chris, I love your brother's comment (he's a riot). As for me, I think a lot of things we worry about as sins are not sins. And a lot of things we never bother to worry about are indeed our greatest sins. I have it on consistent good authority that sitting in church can incite lust. That doesn't mean we give up sitting in church. To some folks a bar is an atmosphere of sin. To others it's a joyful refuge to celebrate with other survivors after WWII, or a place for Chaucer to write a Canterbury tale. Hey, I saw Mr. T on TV last night. Oh my gosh, can that man make a case for Christ. Sure kept my attention.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?