Saturday, December 17, 2005

 

Action

Well, I am blogging for the 3rd time in 4 days. It must be a record. I am really taken in by this book I am reading about U2. The author, Steve Stockman, is a really great writer and also a good question asker. He poses this question on p. 47:
"Many Christians find comfort on Sunday mornings in the Bible verse that says where 2 or 3 are gathered in His name, He is there with them (Mt 18:20). For some reason, they prefer that verse over the one that says the prisoner and the tramp in the street is Jesus too (Mt 25). when it comes to which place Jesus would prefer to be met, you have to wonder. Would he rather see His kingdom come by His followers praying for His kingdom to come, or by them putting their faith into action?"

He then goes on to state the fact that social justice was such a huge issue in the Prophetic books of the Old Testament and to Christ himself. I agree yet we seem to (as a church) lost this concept. Maybe we have forgotten that being part of the Body of Christ is not about serving our needs but serving the needs of others. It is possible that we have lost sight of the fact that we are to molded by God so that we can, in turn, allow God to work through us so that others may be molded as well. I am not saying that prayer and care for God's church is not important. I am saying that we have lost our way. We have become lax in our action for God because we are too busy asking for God. He is there. He is waiting. He is ready to work through us. What do you all think???

Comments:
Chris, thank you for your thoughts. I completely agree with you. On Sunday morning, we seem to sing songs about our unworthiness for grace. I think this leads us to believe that we cannot do what Jesus did, when really that is exactly what we're supposed to do. We wait for the right sermon or the right moment or the right service opportunity to come along because we think we can't surely do this everyday and we're not good enough to bring the message. That's exactly what our adversary would have us think.
 
I agree with ya, Shayna!

I think that one of the reasons we come together on a Sunday morning is so that we can refocus and "refill". Even Jesus needed his time for that and He was God!

I think that what happens is that's where it stops for most people. They don't take that refreshment and share it. We are God's hands and feet. Yes we are needed in the building so that we can teach other's about Him but we need to carry that on to the world outside.

They are the lost ones. They also need Christ. I LOVE the story of the woman at the well. Jesus was there, I think knowing that she was going to come or someone in need of Him was going to come! He went to where the people are. He did not build a building and say...."here I am, come on in!"

Yes it hard but I do believe that in James 2:26 it says "faith without deeds is dead".
 
Your post is making think of a Mother Theresa quote I randomly heard on the radio this morning. I tried to find it just now but can't. It was something like this: an interviewer asked her what made her keep going with her ministry. She said something like: what makes me keep going is that each day I go out and meet Jesus in all his disguises.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?