Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 

Crazy Thought

Here is a crazy thought. What if all this blogging, facebooking, myspacing, etc. is actually a bad idea? What if in the long run it turns out to be one of the causes of disconnect we currently are experiencing in this world? (disconnect from intimate community vs. world wide community) What if an entire generation grow up experiencing community through the screen and keys of a computer? What if we learn how to have simple conversations with those around us? What if we forget that people are actually more important that machines?(I know that one was a bit cheesy but think about it) What if we would rather send an email than get up, walk 5 feet and talk with someone in person? What if we create an environment that allows people to say anything they want, in any way, as much as they want regardless of how hurtful it is? What if we forget how to tell stories live and in person? What if we forget that our story is connected to a larger story? What if we let web pages and keyboard shortcuts dominate that story? What if we replace authentic live worship experiences with piped in video versions?

What if....

Comments:
I'd like to add Self-check out lines to your list. Instead of interacting with a cashier, we'd rather ring ourselves out. I've been wondering what impact this has on relationship building. Good thoughts, Chris.
 
hahaha... I was just thinking about that when I went to your blog for no apparent reason to myself, scrolled down without reading anything but the titles, and just stopping on this one. I do hate the monotone on these things... and I kinda do like to talk to people rather then on the internet, it seems easier to me somehow... plus instant messaging services were created so you could say, "hey, wanna meet somewhere" then go out with your friends... not have a chat room set up and just hang out there... if you can call it that even. plus, kids now (even me) are and have been growing up with passwords and way too many superfluous rules regarding bounds of control. I dont think anyone realizes how free we really are, we're so restricted to where we are supposed to go and where we usually go, that might just be me though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?